Saturday, April 2, 2011

l-Hamdullah!

WEEK TWO OF TRAINING- DONE AND DONE!

This week in school I learned how to count to 999,999, how to get things from the market, how to tell time, and some verbs. I'll be able to form a sentence in Darija in no time (hopefully)!

My village is pretty legit - everyone is so nice and its located near a river and the mountains are close by too. It can get pretty hot during the day though, my paleness can't handle the heat - and it's only spring lol


My village from a hill

I had a lot of fun cultural experiences this week: I got to watch Mr. Nice Guy with Jackie Chan dubbed in French, some henna on my hands for a wedding, hand washed my laundry, went to a market and bought some chicken - this counts as cultural because I saw the chicken die, went to one day of a three day wedding celebration - met the bride and I don't speak enough Darija to say anything to her but "good" so I just stared blankly at her lol awkward?, my host sister found a French radio station that only plays rihanna and david guetta (win), I made some chicken in a tagine, went to a Berber dance festival, and I ate a lot of awesome frites (FRENCH FRIES!!!!!). Overall good week!


 My henna!

I had some funny lost in translation moments this week: I asked my teacher what chapstick is in Darija but when I showed her what it was she thought it was glue. So all week I've been telling my host family that I like using glue on my lips because it is so dry here lol. I also thought I was going to get henna with my host sister (before I actually got it) and instead ended up in a field with her picking beans and mint. Then finally last night I thought we were going to another night of the wedding, but we went to a Berber folk music festival - which I thought was the wedding until I saw my teacher and she told me where we were.

YAYA! This weekend I'm hanging out in Ouarzazate and I'll post some more pictures soon :)



4 comments:

  1. wow, all of that sounds so amazing! Except the dead chicken part :( but i love all of these stories! and i met a parent at my work who was fluent in philipino (filipino?) because he was in the peace corps! so thats what you're going to be! except in...dirja?...i forget what langueage you said haha.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "lost in translation moments" made me laugh out loud haha

    ReplyDelete