HAPPY ONE MONTH!!!
I've officially been in Morocco for a month, even though we've been so busy and done so much it feels weird to put everything into a time frame. Here are some updates, nothing crazy happened.
Habits/tendencies/things I'm learning to live without
- showering every day
- make up
- email/facebook on the reg
- eating dinner early
- eating french fries without ketchup
- toilet paper
- cell phone reception
What I can't stop complaining about (sorry CBT group lol)
- the sun and how hot it is (at least in my current location)
- the desire for a hot normal shower when its due time to bathe
- my lack of a good pillow
- and how much I hate our cook at schools food (she's the only woman in Morocco who can't cook - and we pay her)
Speaking of complaining - here is my latest and longest lasting rant that will probably continue for my next two years of service
- I want Chipotle
- I want to eat Chiptole
- I want to smell Chipotle
- I want to devour Chipotle
- I want to consume Chipotle
- I want to oxidize Chipotle
- I want to marry Chipotle
- I MISS CHIPOTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only redeeming factor is that there are apparently tacos somewhere in Morocco, perhaps they will serve something similar to barbacoa but my soul is sad knowing it will be two years before I get to eat the glorious and wonderful food that is Chipotle.
ANYHOO, it's not like I'm not eating well here. The food is good, although I'm not a cous cous fan, but there are a lot of yummy treats! Here is an example of Gussie and I's Saturday:
- Breakfast
- Tea time at school
- Had lunch at school (I obv complained that it was nasty)
- Had another lunch at Gussie's house (delicious)
- Unclear moment: we thought we were going to the dance festival but instead we went to an ally with a bunch of women and then like 10 bowls of cous cous came out and we were eating cous cous in the streets? Our LCF told us it's an act of charity to feed your neighbors, but it was very confusing
- Right after the cous cous in the alley we went to a baby shower - where we proceeded to have tea and cookies, cous cous, and a plate of meat with bread. YES that is a two course meal
- After we went to the wedding house (forgot to mention the 3 day wedding was actually a 2 week wedding) and watched Tremors as well as COPS: liquored up ladies edition (THAT was embarrassing) - after we had some tea and bread
- Two hours later it was tea and vanilla wafer time
- Then we had a two course meal - cous cous and then a plate of meat (presumably beef)
Overall we had 8 meals and 4 tea times lol we are NOT going hungry over here!
Here are some pictures from one night of the wedding (out of like 2 weeks)
One of the brides getting dolled up
Two brides in the middle with Gussie's extended host family
Me and my awesome host sister Habiba! (SHE IS THE BEST!!!)
One last section on lost in translation moments:
- I told Habiba that towel was delicious (I meant breakfast)
- I thought my LCF asked if I like the spoons in Morocco (she said food)
- A woman was explaining to Gussie and I that her daughter is 1 year and 5 months old and can eat rice - I thought she said there are 5 brides a year - fail.
That's all for now! Keep up your comments, I'm not sure how to comment back but I love them and miss you all!!! It's not just Chipotle that I'm missing lol
I'm really enjoying reading about your experiences! Very proud of you, Big!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Elise
hahaha ok, my favorite parts are the lost in translation moments. one because they are funny, and two because i keep forgetting that you are learning to become fluent in another language! that is so cool! i can't wait for you to come back and just speak another language to everyone! and i will make you teach me how to say "i'm sorry, but i can't speak durija(?)" i still haven't remembered the name of it yet.....sorry!
ReplyDeletelol I can't believe they watch cops over there. how embarassing
ReplyDelete