Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Happy Holly-daze!!!

So at this point I have experienced two of the major cultural events morocco has to offer – Ramadan and 3id kbir (literally translates to the big holiday). I know I never posted anything about Ramadan but that’s because I just kind of flipped my life around and slept all day in order to “fast” (doesn’t count if youre not conscious lol) and stayed up all night to eat and drink water. The meal to break fast was the best though – dates, cookies, fruit, juice, bread products and anything else unhealthy you could think of that you would want to binge on lol BUT back to the big holiday which Gussie and I decided to experience together was pretty similar to thanksgiving – you eat so much you feel like youre going to explode. Here are the events of the day/the purpose of the holiday

It originates from the story in the Koran about Ibraham and Ishmale (also known as the story of Abraham and Isaac in the bible) but Ibraham was supposed to sacrifice his first son Ishmale and he was about to do it and then Allah stopped him and then Ibraham sacrificed a sheep instead – so today every family sacrifices a sheep in honor of this event.

So the day started off in the morning with slaughtering a sheep. Gussie and I had the pleasure of watching this even take place twice because my crew consists of my fam but also my host aunt and uncle so each separate family had a sheep. After that we watched the cleaning and cooking process of all the organs (emptying the stomach contents was the most interesting but the colon on the other hand was nasty lol) we ended up eating liver wrapped in fat (kind of tasted like a hamburger), heart and something we couldn’t identify. Everything was bbq-ed shish kebab style so it was manageable to eat. But then for dinner the main course was sheep face. I couldn’t do it but gussie was brave and tried some lol maybe next year ill have the courage to try it...but overall ive come a long way from only ever eating chicken nuggets and tortellini lol

Here are some pictures of the event, theyre kind of graphic so don’t look if youre squeamish!

Goodbye any childhood memories of lamb chop....goodbye.

Mir-dawg and I before the festivites
HAPPPPPY HOLIDAYS!
fur is murder?
whose hungry?
comeondowntomghila and meetsomefriendzofmine!


1 comment: